Thursday, March 20, 2014

Review for The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

I'm not sure why I never got around to reading this book.  Like many people, I think I've seen the movie about 100 times since it was released.  For a long time, I think I just conveniently forgot that it was based on a book.  I think I was also afraid to read it because if you've ever seen a movie and then gone and read the book, either you're horribly disappointed or your reading is somewhat dulled by having someone else's idea of what the characters look/sound like.

I will admit that I really couldn't picture Dr. Lecter as anyone else other than Sir Anthony Hopkins, but I don't think that's a bad thing!  I was able to put aside the visuals that were in the movie version and immerse myself into the story.  The Silence of the Lambs is the second in the Hannibal Lecter books, but you don't have to read Red Dragon first, both books really do stand on their own.  Sure, there are a few references to Red Dragon, but not so many that you feel like you're lost or that you've missed half the story.  I like that.  Sometimes it's nearly impossible to come into a series without first reading everything else first.

The characters are well drawn and you can relate to many of them on at least some level.  There are some cheesy moments where you wonder why it was thrown in or what it was considered important enough to be part of the story line, but for the most part, it works.  I always think it's fun when a person who is supposed to be on the "good" side turns out to be an incompetent creep.  It's so easy to like Dr. Lecter and to absolutely hate Dr. Chilton,

The suspense doesn't come across quite as well in the book, but I think that might be more because I'd seen the movie version first.  I think someone reading the book without seeing the movie first will find the suspense to be very well done.  The build up is done very well, it's not campy and you have moments of real fright that just grab you by the throat and shake.

The ending seemed a little rushed, but it was also that way in the movie too.  Maybe it was just because I wanted more Dr. Lecter?  I think I'll have to go pick up the rest of the Hannibal Lecter books just to satiate that "need more Lecter" feeling.

Even if you've seen the movie, go read the book.  Yes, it's that good.

The Silence of the Lambs on Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment