Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Review for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I will admit, I was worried about this book.  I'd read a lot of very unflattering reviews over the months since I purchased it.  I think that's why it took me more than a year before I actually decided to sit down and read it.  I began the book not expecting much and I will admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the story that unfolded.  It was better than many typical novels advertised as both YA and for a wider adult audience.  I think that many adults would be very satisfied with the series that Ransom Riggs has started.  I'm looking forward to future outings with Miss Peregrine and her Peculiar Children.

We are introduced to Jacob Portman.  The story is told in a first person point of view in Jacob's voice.  As a young child, he forms a very special bond with his grandfather.  He wants to be an explorer and adventurer just like him.  He relishes in the tales that his grandfather spins for him, complete with pictures of levitating girls, invisible boys and other oddities.  All too soon he begins to grow up and starts listening to the logic of his father who insists that his grandfather is just spinning imaginative, but impossible stories just to keep Jacob entertained.  Jacob comes to see the pictures and fantastical tales in a new light.  The tales become impossible fantasies and the photographs are now seen as fake.

Jacob is now 16 and reeling from the sudden death of his grandfather.  He receives a letter that sets the fantastic events in motion.  He travels to the remote Welsh island where his grandfather lived when he was a child to escape the monsters.  His father travels with him so that he can observe the birds and with the blessing of Jacob's psychiatrist, he lets him explore and try to find the answers that he needs to put his mind at peace.  Jacob finds the home where his grandfather lived with all of those peculiar children.  Children who should be dead and gone according to the island residents, but are there!  And they are alive and well!  The story takes on a more fantastical turn that I had expected but this wasn't unwelcome at all.  The descriptions and the story are so well done that you can set aside your notions of what's possible and make yourself believe that this can happen.

The photographs used within the novel are incredible.  There have been many reviewers that have stated that the pictures seem to serve no purpose and that they don't correspond to what's being described in the book.  I have to strongly disagree with this statement.  I thought the pictures did a great job of giving a visual to the events in the story.  They put a real face to the characters in the story.  It makes you wonder if Ransom Riggs came upon some of these pictures and decided to tell their story.   My only complaint about the pictures and other visual items in the book would be that they are rather difficult for Kindle (and possibly other e-book) users.  There is a workaround, but not everyone would be willing or able to do it.  If I didn't think the detail was good enough on my Kindle, I opened my Kindle App for PC and I could then see everything.

For me, this was a very well written novel.  The characters were engaging, very well fleshed out and left you wanting to get to know them even better.  There was a supernatural aspect to the book that wasn't overdone or overblown, it was made believable and above all, interesting.  The pace was good, there were very few places that I would say that the story lagged or slowed down.  The level of detail was impressive without going on and on and on about little things that didn't matter.  The mysteries are well explained and the suspense keeps you on the edge of your seat till the very end.

The ending was very well done.  It left room for a sequel without feeling unfinished.  Sure, there's a bit of a cliffhanger, but it's not one of those soap-opera cliffhangers where you're more angry than excited for the next step.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to escape into another time and place for at least a little while.  Put aside your conceptions of what is real and what is possible and just enjoy the ride.  Due to some violence and some mature language and imagery, I would not recommend this to readers under the age of 13-14...just my personal impression.

Solid 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment